Do you want to protect your online privacy by setting up a Virtual Private Network on your PC? Do you know how to Set Up VPN Server at Home? Definitely No, that’s why you are reading this article. Scroll down to read everything about setting up a VPN server at home without any additional services.
VPN offers tons of features and using a VPN doesn’t mean that you are doing some illegal tasks. Companies and firms use VPN to keep their data secure. Hackers and spammers spy on the internet at regular intervals of time. So, it is very important to use a VPN to keep the company’s private data secure and protected. Read below to go through a brief guide on how to set up VPN server at home.
USE cases of VPN
- Consumer VPN services that permit people to surf secretly from home or a public setting,
- Business-oriented solutions that let employees to securely connect to a corporate network remotely.
Use of VPN
VPNs help in Security, PRivacy, and Unblocking.
- Security from hackers
- Privacy from government ISP and trackers
- Unblocking from Internet Filters, so that you can easily bypass.
What is a VPN Server?
A VPN server is a physical or virtual server that is configured to host and deliver VPN services to users worldwide. A VPN server usually has more logical and physical communications ports. VPN hardware an software together makes the VPN server. It enables VPN clients to connect to a secure private network.
How does VPN server work?
First, a VPN server is run by a user, let’s assume to send some files to another user. VPN client connects you to a VPN server and starts sending your data(encrypted by VPN protocols) through your ISP.
When the VPN server receives all encrypted information, it decrypts it and sends it to a designated web server. After that VPN server will encrypt the data sent by a web server in return and send it to VPN client through ISP. The VPN client will then decrypt data for you. This is how the VPN service works.
4 Quick Ways to Set Up VPN Server at Home
You can set up VPN server at home in different ways in different conditions like using third party software or using a router.
How to set up your custom VPN server?
If you love to program and want to know more about functionality then you can design your own VPN server. Customize the server according to your needs. You can add more controls and more security.
- Install Software Open VPN to create your own server.
- For windows, the installation process will go smoothly but if you are using Raspberry Pi, you may face some difficulties. In that case, try a script like PiVPN.
- Then follow the instructions on the Open VPN website and install the VPN.
How to set up a VPN server using Router with VPN Support?
- If your home network is shared by more than one person, then its difficult to download software on each and every device. In such cases, it is recommended to set up a VPN server on your router.
- If any traffic crosses your router, it will be encrypted by your VPN. So, even protect the Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
- To get a VPN software on router, purchase VPN routers that have software support in it. To use your home VPN, log into your router by entering its IP address into your web browser. Find the option saying VPN or similar and add in your VPN username and password. You should be able to enable the VPN across your whole network from here.
This is another easy method to This is the easiest way to set up VPN server at home.
How to set up a VPN server using Third-Party Software?
When you buy a VPN from a good brand like express VPN or Nord VPN or CyberGhost, they provide you software for installing the server on your device.
So in this section, I am going to guide you on how you can install a VPN server using that piece of software.
- Go to VPN provider webiste.
- Search for the link.
- Download software by clicking on the link.
- Install it on your device.
- Now launch it and enter your VPN username and password and you can start using the VPN.
That’s all. Now you can use a VPN without any hassle and surf securely around the web. This is the easiest way to set up a VPN server at home.
How to Set Up a VPN by Installing VPN Software on Your Wi-Fi Router?
The last method to set up VPN server at home is by installing VPN software on the Wi-fi router.
In the above section, we have discussed buying a router that has software support in it. But if you have bought a router recently and do not want to buy a new one(at least for now) then, there is an option to set up a VPN on your existing software.
Two popular options for adding VPN capabilities to your router are DD-WRT and Tomato.
Thank you for reading! According to today’s scenario, it’s very important to connect to a VPN server to be more secure, more private. The above shared brief guide to set up VPN server at home would be helpful for you to understand how the VPN server and VPN client works.
I hope you would like the article. Share your feedback.
Mention in comments if you face any issues.